In my considered belief, commitment unlocks the doors of imagination, allows vision that serves us with an opportunity to turn dreams into reality. With a firm focus on achieving desired results, I have always been a strong votary of reforms and turnarounds in my endeavours to bring about a positive transformation in the society. My credentials have propelled me into the league of top three Indian leaders by Asia Week magazine in its lead story “Giant on the Move”, further strengthening my resolve to strike a healthy balance between human development and fragile eco-system.
Before taking over as the Minister of Commerce and Industry and Civil Aviation, Government of India, I have had the privilege of handling several ministries like the Railways to Environment and Power and Heavy Industries. As Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s Sherpa at the G 20 Summit, I had the good fortune of being a personal representative of the head of a state and Chairman of the Task Force on Interlinking of Rivers Project. I staunchly believe that all projects can be taken to their logical fruition with a clear blueprint and stipulated deadlines.
As a Rajya Sabha MP from Andhra Pradesh and Haryana and, four-time Lok Sabha MP from Rajapur in Maharashtra, my doors have always been open to people in my perception that it eliminates red tape and promotes inclusive thinking. I am receptive to new ideas and appreciate constructive criticism while encouraging public and stakeholder participation.
In my younger days, I was firmly focused on academic growth and excellence. In those days only a minuscule, two per cent students could pass the CA exam. It also helped me to clear the UPSC exams.
Before entering public life, I was grounded into social work, often taking part in festivals like the Ganeshotsava. I feel it offered me a platform into understanding public pulse in my evolution as a political leader. As Vice Chairman and then as Chairman of the Saraswat Bank, I supported its computerization. With my roots in Sindhudurg, I drafted a full report of that area along with TCS to explore how tourism could be developed in that picturesque terrain. It was my privilege to have been associated as a member with over 150 social organizations and NGOs before becoming a Member of the Parliament.
I am blessed that people have always been disposed kindly towards me. I attribute it to my methodical, disciplined and systematic approach in whatever role I found myself in. Credibility and conscience are at the core of my thinking philosophy – one reason why I have earned respect from even political opponents. I pledge to be equal to this trust and continue to work without fear or favour.
- Rank holder at Inter CA, FCA at the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India.
- LLB from New Law College Mumbai.
- B.Com (Hons) from M L Dahanukar College, Vile Parle, Mumbai.
- SSC from Sharadashram Vidya Mandir, Dadar, Mumbai.
- Participant in extra-curricular activities during school, college days.
- Several publications to my credit.
- Evinced keen interest in social activities.
- Sound political background.
- Made global mark before becoming a minister.
- Associated with several parliamentary committees.
- Taking time out to pursue interests and hobbies.
- Vice-Chairman and Treasurer of the Western India Chartered Accountant Students’ Association, a statutory body representing CA students from Maharastra, Gujarat and Union Territory of Goa, and Daman and Diu.
- Member of editorial board of “Forum of CA”, a professional magazine
- Founder of “Youth For Democracy”, a students’ organisation
- “Students’ Unrest” at Bajaj Institute of Management, Mumbai
- “Causes and Consequences of Mass Unemployment of Youths”at the Central Committee for International Voluntary Services (CCIVS), UNESCO, Paris
- “Problems of Youth in Third World Countries”at CCIVS, Monrovia (Liberia)
- “North-South Co-operation”,paper read at an international seminar at New Delhi on behalf of Bharat Sevak Samaj
- “Contribution of NGO’s Towards Peace” -Asian Youth Seminar, New Delhi
- Has published several columns on finance and economy in the daily “Mid Day” as well as articles in leading Marathi dailies
- He has written extensively on socio-economic issues
- Director, Saraswat Co-operation Bank. (former Chairman)
- Actional Co-operative Union of India
- Chairman, Manav Sadhan Vikas Sansthan, an NGO
- Chairman, Konkan Kala academy
- Vice-Chairman, Trustee, Mumbai Marathi Granth Sangrahalaya
- Chairman, Adult Education Institute
- Chairman, Maharastra State Table Tennis Academy
- Trustee, Khar Residents Association
- Trustee, Manavendra Charitable hospital
- Trustee, IFFCO Foundation
- Vice-President, Table Tennis Fedaration of India
- Joined politics in March 1996, when he contested for the first time, from Rajapur Lok Sabha Constituency on a Shiv Sena ticket
- Between 1996 and 2009, he has been a four-time Member of Parliament from Rajapur Lok Sabha Constituency
- Has been Union Minister for Industries in 1996, Union Minister for Environment and Forests in 1998, Union Minister for Fertilizers & Chemicals in 1999, Union Minister of Power, Union Minister of Heavy Industry and Public Enterprises & Chairman Task Force for Interlinking of Rivers (Union Cabinet Minister rank and status)
- Presently, he represents Andhra Pradesh in Rajya Sabha
- Treasurer of Confederation of UNESCO Clubs and Associations
- Office bearer of Central committee for International Voluntary Services (CCIVS, UNESCO), one of the largest NGO’s having members in 110 countries and headquarters in Paris
- Secretary of International Study and Service Exchange
- Attended the CCIVS general assembly and conference in France in 1983
- Attended the third world Congress of the World Federation of UNESCO Clubs and Associations in Tokyo, Japan in 1984
- Attended the Executive Committee meeting of CCIVS as Weimer, GDR in 1985
- Visited Czeckoslovakia on the invitation of SSM
- Winner of the UNESCO fellowship. Visited Africa in that connection to study the problems of youth in developing countries
- Has visited over 100 countries in Europe, Latin America, North America, Africa, Asia and Pacific-.
- Chairman, Indo – German Parliamentary Forum
- Chairman, Parliamentary Forum on Environment
- Chairman, Parliamentary Maritime Group
- Chairman, Co-operative Forum of Parliamentarians
- Indo – US Parliamentary Forum
- Indo – UK Parliamentary Forum
- Parliamentary Standing Committee on Ministry External Affairs
- Member, Public Accounts Committee
- Member, Joint Parliamentary Committee to draft Women’s Reservation Bill
- Parliamentary Standing Committee and Consultative committee on Finance
- Member , Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Commerce and Industry
- Chairman, forum against fake drugs
- Executive Member of Indo-UK and Indo-EU Japanse Parlimentary Forum
- Member Wildlife first
- Co-Chairman of Indo-Japanese
- Forum of Water
- Chairman Parliamentary Forum on Renewable Energy
- Co-Chairman, Indo-Japan Parliamentary Forum
- Indo-Singapore Public Forum
- Indo-EU Parliamentary Forum
- Member-Core Group-on AIDS
- Reading, Classical Music
- Sports, including chess and table-tennis
- Collecting stamps
- Father’s Name : Shri. Prabhakar Prabhu
- Date of Birth : 11th July, 1953
- Place of Birth : Mumbai, Maharastra
- Wife : Smt. Uma S. Prabhu
- Son : Mr. Ameya Prabhu
Explore some of the key moments and events that have helped shape the
course of New Zealand’s political and constitutional development.